Tuna Cakes - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Wednesday 7 April 2010

Tuna Cakes

Well I don’t suppose anyone could say that I am not resourceful. At least when it comes to food. I am sure that if I got dropped in the middle of the jungle I would starve to death or get bitten by a snake of extreme poison I occasionally catch those survivor shows I find it quite horrifying that someone would do that on purpose.

I remember not watching the first season of Survivor. I really was just not interested, and I had other things to do at the time. However I did catch the news that Richard Hatch had won, something I will remember forever. I was being shown around my room by a bell hop at a resort in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. He flipped on the television and CNN came on and was talking about this guy who won a million dollars. The bell hop asked us what he had done to win this million dollars. We told him. He just shook his head and said, “People do that all the time, what makes him so special?” Well honestly what did make him special, and why has that show been on for 10 years? Because the people watching have never had to do anything more strenuous than microwaving some popcorn should they feel hungry. Yet there are hunger issues in the United States, we just don’t like to talk to them because it interrupts our time with our Ho-Hos and Zingers. So when you turn on the flickering brain sucking box and watch a couple of people, fight over a mangy waterlogged rat it becomes entertainment instead of a sad commentary on the vast economic gap between rich and poor in the US.

I have not paid attention to an episode of survivor since. It all seems rather petty in the grand scheme of things.

OK, tuna cakes. I really wanted a grilled tuna melt sandwich until I realized that I had no mayo so tuna cakes it was.

The cakes for four peeps: 

2 Cans of chunk light tuna in water
1/4 cup of flour or chickpea flour (the latter is really good!)
2 Green onions chopped 
1/2 Small red bell pepper chopped (optional)
1 Teaspoon of chili powder
1 egg lightly beaten
¼ Teaspoon of salt
Pinch of pepper 

How you do this? I tell you now: 

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and chill for 15 minutes to firm up. With floured  hands (or chickpea floured hands) take small balls of the mixture and flatten into patties about two and a half inches in diameter. Heat the peanut or vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed skillet and fry the cakes about 2 minutes a side until lightly browned. Drain on absorbent paper and serve with cucumber relish and a green salad. 

Quick Cucumber Relish: 

½ Medium cucumber unpeeled grated
1 Tablespoon of lime juice
½ Teaspoon of brown sugar (Optional)
1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes

Place the grated cucumber in a mesh strainer and place over a bowl for 10 minutes to drain. Then mix the grated drained cucumber with the lime juice and the sugar, adding the red pepper flakes if desired. Serve on the side of the tuna cakes.

You could also go ahead and serve these with rice or salsa. They are pretty versatile little buggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment