Garbanzo Feta Salad - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Tuesday 8 September 2009

Garbanzo Feta Salad



I still remember the first time I heard the words “garbanzo beans”. It was in Syria at the American Snack Bar when one of the embassy staff members was complaining about the vast amount of hummus that was available as opposed to the meager amounts of bologna available at the commissary. Up till then I had always called them chick-peas, and I still do depending on who I am talking to. I am however much more careful than I used to be.


I actually got in trouble in Junior High because I said chick-peas, and some great militant feminist told me I was being sexist. Apparently she had never heard of chick-peas and thought I was talking about some part(s) of her anatomy. Never again have I met a militant feminist with such big hair, however it was the 80’’s and we wanted a bigger hole in the ozone so we could tan faster. Yeah, take that ozone! Think you’re so tough? I have a can of Aqua Net in my pocket and I am not afraid to use it!


There is a little quirk I still have today is confusing Gonzaga University with Garbanzo Beans, I think because I had physics teacher that used to walk into the classroom and say; “Park your Garbanzos!” while standing under a gigantic Pennant from Gonzaga. Then again I could just be a little scrambled in the head.


Anyhow-dilly-doodle here is a recipe for a garbanzo (or chickpea) and feta salad. Serve warm or chilled, though it is really at its peak at room temperature.


Ingredients:


2 Cans of garbanzo drained and rinsed well in a colander

1 Cup of small black olives drained (Pitted Kalamata or Nicoise olives preferably)

½ a red onion chopped

¼ Cup of Italian Vinaigrette Dressing

1 Tablespoon of lemon juice

½ Teaspoon of Oregano

2 Tablespoons of chopped flat leaf parsley

4oz of feta cheese crumbled


Method:


Mix all together in a non reactive bowl and let rest for at least 30 minutes. Toss again just before serving.

Serve 6-8 marshmallowy peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment