MAKE IT: Biscuit, Pancake Mix (Bisquick) - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Friday 22 February 2013

MAKE IT: Biscuit, Pancake Mix (Bisquick)


You probably notice that I use Bisquick often in recipes. I love Bisquick, it is easy, versatile, and stores well. What I don't often mention, is my Bisquick is homemade, 100% mix by myself. Truth is I used Bisquick so much I wanted to figure out how to save $ in it. So I decided I would figure it out. It took a few fails to get the right taste and amount of rising, but I did it. For the last year I have used homemade Bisquick, not even sure anyone in the house noticed the change either. Try it, you might never by it again!

Full time 10 minutes
Make 7 cups (approximately) see lower notes on what this will make.

You will need:

4 cups flour
1 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp dry milk powder, preferably non-fat
2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tablespoon salt

Let us begin:

In a large bowl milk, baking powder, and salt. Mix thourally with a fork for 1 minutes. *Hint you are working with similar color ingredients so use a timed mixing not by appearance.

Add in flour, mix for 3 minutes with a fork.

Gently tap bowl in table, you will see everything flatten.

Mix again for 2 minutes, this will assure everything is even and incorporated.

Make a well in the middle if mixture.

Add shortening to the well.

Using back of fork, blend shortening into mixture until lumps are no larger than a small pebble.

Using hands for the remaining mixing.

Reach into bowl and rub large clumps of mixture between hand until shortening can no longer be seen.

It should look like a granulated meal.

Store in airtight container for up to 60 days!

I like to seperate mine, this batch makes enough for 2 biscuit, 1 pancake, and 1 breadstick batch. Or 3 biscuits. Or 3 pancakes. Or 2 pancakes, 1 Buscuit, and a bread stick, the combinations are possibly endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment