Sauteed Chili Mushroom Recipe - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Sunday 22 November 2009

Sauteed Chili Mushroom Recipe


Yes, even more Tapas and a note on wild mushrooms. Picking wild mushrooms can be a fun pastime, as long as you like stomach pumps and ipecac.


There are lots and lots of poisonous fungi out there so save yourself a trip to the Emergency Department and buy your wild mushrooms from the supermarket.


Don’t tell me I didn’t warn you. Mushrooms can be extremely deadly, the death cap mushroom being possibly one of the worst. This is not just because of the agonizing death that it can cause but also because it looks like a normal, innocuous field mushroom.


Throughout history many people both great and small have been felled by the humble mushroom. Emperor Claudius was killed by eating poisonous mushrooms. Possibly from one of the recipes that would appear several hundred years later in the famous Apicius cook book.


Personally I think that Claudius committed suicide. I mean really, the man went ahead and married the last surviving sister of Caligula. Looks like suicide to me.


Then again there are lots of things that I think are suicide. Walking into a meth lab with a lit cigarette dangling from the corner of your toothless mouth, hanging out in No-Po and calling everyone you meet “Bro”, playing that “Grab the pebble game” from the Karate Kid with the gun of a disgruntled police officer whose wife just ran off with his best friend his dog and his DVD copy of Armageddon. Tying your wedding tackle to the rear of the Cascade Express, not sure why anyone would think to do that…I mean seriously how drunk do you have to be to think: “What have we here? A train? Well I don’t remember the last time I tied my John Thomas to the back of a train…let me see if I have any string…” Perhaps his brain was in sideways, which can often explain a lot…sadly his brain is now all over the railway crossing at 32nd and Madison.


In fact just yesterday in Hillsboro a man committed “Suicide by Cop”, started out as a dispute between two drivers and then one of them went runcible banana spoon and started shooting, killing some poor sod who should have stayed home that day. Eventually the police chase the shooter, who fired at the police while driving, there that is the point you know he is not coming out of this alive. Eventually he crashed his van and came out of the van shooting. At which point the police (much as I would have done) filled him so full of lead you could sharpen his head and use him as a pencil. See? Suicide.


Well on with the mushrooms. These are great! Simple to prepare and just delicious, as long as you like a little spice in your life! Caliente! Or not, the chilies are to taste and you may not like the mushrooms to be caliente, which makes me a sad penguin huffer. Better than penguin butter, which I imagine would be very odd indeed.


Ingredients:


1 Pound small button mushrooms

2 Tablespoons of olive oil

1 Tablespoon of butter

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

1-2 fresh red chilies chopped to taste

1 Tablespoon chopped parsley

Salt and Pepper


How you do this? I tell you now:


Heat the oil and butter in a skillet so that it is hot but not smoking, (Smoking kills, so does my cousin Jim...Just Kidding Jimbo, we all know aunt Susie was attacked by a sneaker wave, sure ok, I believe you...I swear…would I lie to you.. no I do not want to go to the beach with you...let me out of the trunk!!! All righty then moving on… add the mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes, add the chilies and continue to sauté for 2-3 more minutes till mushrooms are just beginning to brown, toss in lemon juice. Remove to small plates and dust with parsley, fresh cracked black pepper and a pinch of salt. Serves 4 as part of a tapas meal

No comments:

Post a Comment