Pinchos Morunos and Stupid Bluebird - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Tuesday 24 November 2009

Pinchos Morunos and Stupid Bluebird


The name of these delightful little skewers means “Moorish Kebabs” and they have just a hint of exotic spices. If you add a cucumber mint sauce it takes them to a higher plane of yummyness.


A Word of warning: when cooking any raw meat product check to make sure they are cooked all the way through, because no one wants you to get sick. Especially me because I do not want to be sued again by some mentally challenged individual who hasn’t got the common sense G@d gave a concrete flea (Why is it always “flea”? Goldfish for example have a long term memory of 3 seconds and very little common sense.).


Why do the courts reward stupidity? “I didn’t realize the coffee was hot!” Oh I am so sorry you did not realize that the coffee was hot, here is 20 million dollars. “I didn’t realize that if I drive my lawn mower down the free way at 10 miles an hour I might fall off and get hit by a truck.”, I am so sorry your lawnmower instruction manual did not come with instructions for highway driving. Here are the keys to a new truck and a sack of hundred dollar bills.


Things are changing the world over I know, but I remember in Britain how darn near impossible it was to sue anybody. Especially for Malpractice. We had a doctor in our village by the name of Fowler. Dr. Fowler, or as he was known to the villagers as Murder Most Fowler because of the large number of people who seemed to “Pass on” under his care. No one sued him; they just sneaked out round the back if they thought he was making house calls. In actuality it was probably the fact that most of the villagers who died were in their 80’s and had lung rot from smoking brier pipes all their lives.


I guess people are just unwilling to accept the inevitable and hope that the bluebird of happiness will show them the way.


Speaking of bluebirds. I actually did wake up to a bluebird this morning. Just a pretty little bluebird on a tree limb outside of my window, just as the dawn fire was stretching her long tenacious fingers across the heavens, chasing away the night shadows and bringing the crisp cool promise of morning. I reached for my glasses and as I tried to put them on stabbed myself in the eye causing me to stand straight up and making me stub my toe on the bench at the end of my bed…doing the angry pirate (Clutching my eye and hopping on one foot) I entered the hallway which proved to be quite an obstacle as I leaned on the wall and knocked off a picture, which naturally landed pointy corner down on my remaining good foot, rolling around in pain on the floor until the bluebird brought me out of my agonizing purple peacock cry-ball by singing a jolly little tune, at which point I promptly threw a shoe at it…G@d d@mn bluebirds showing up at my window sill…


Oh that’s right Moorish Kebabs with cumin n’stuff


Ingredients:


1 1/2 Pounds of uncooked chicken, tofu or pork in 1 inch cubes

1 Teaspoon of ground cumin

1 Tablespoon of paprika

1 Teaspoon of ground coriander

2 Tablespoons of lemon juice

1/4 cup of olive oil


Method:


Mix the spices, lemon juice and olive oil, add the meat and marinate for one-two hours. Preheat the grill or broiler and thread the cubes of meat on bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water for 30 minutes (So they won’t burn). Broil 6 inches from heat for about 10 minutes turning once during cooking and bushing with the marinade four times (Twice each side), Serves 4-6


For the cucumber sauce:


1 cup plain yogurt

2 teaspoons of lemon juice

1 Tablespoon of chopped mint

1 cucumber ends cut off and grated

2 cloves of garlic minced fine


Mix all up in a bowl, keeps for one or two days in the fridge, also super with shish kebabs, Gyros, meatballs, falafel and as a salad dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment