Grilled Garlic Bread with Chunky Marinara - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Monday 28 June 2010

Grilled Garlic Bread with Chunky Marinara

So the other night I was tired from slaving away at the office working on some such report of some such subject that for the life of me I cannot remember. I suppose it could not have been that important, or it was so important that I forgot it to make sure that I would not remember details if I happen to get captured and horribly tortured by the mad accountants of Thun-daar. Or some such thing, I suppose it would be more terrifying if I was captured by tax auditors…Conan the Librarian and the tax auditors of DOOOOM! I think that has a nice ring to it.

Anyway, here is a quickly prepared dinner, the recipe for grilled garlic bread is in this post, the tortellini with blue cheese and walnuts is in the next post. The salad was just a green salad with a store bought dressing, and the dessert was simply ice cream and sliced fresh fruit so I have not provided recipes for them, I have faith that you can figure them out on your own, I really do, trust me. 

Green Salad with Oil and Vinegar Dressing
Ice Cream and Fresh Fruit

 
I have waxed lyrical about the joys of garlic bread in the past, suffice to say there was talk of sheep flatulence. That is all you need to know. Moving on, one of my favorite Italian-American appetizers:

Grilled Garlic bread with Chunky Marinara

For the Grilled Garlic Bread: 

Ingredients:  

I loaf of Italian or French bread ends cut off and reserved for some other use
4 Tablespoons of olive oil
2 Tablespoons of melted butter
8 Cloves of garlic chopped
2 Teaspoons of Italian seasoning
½ Teaspoon of garlic powder

Method: 
Firt Slice the bread into one inch thick slices, brush one side with the olive oil and place olive oil side down on the grill. Brush the facing side with oil Grill for 4-5 minutes until there are nice grill marks on the one side. Place grilled side up in a baking dish, brush with a little of the melted butter and sprinkle with the chopped garlic, Italian seasoning  and the garlic powder, Cover  the pan with foil and place in the oven for five minutes. These are really garlicky so be warned, stupid twilight…

For the Chunky Tomato Marinara

Ingredients: 

3 Cloves of garlic rough chopped
1/3 Cup of chopped onion
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
2 Ripe tomatoes roughly chopped
1/8 Teaspoon of sugar
1 Tablespoon minced parsley
½ Teaspoon dried basil

Method: 

Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan or skillet, add the garlic and onion and cook over medium heat,  stirring often,  for about four minutes until the onion is glossy but not browned. Add the tomatoes and sugar and cook for 15 minutes uncovered. It should be fairly dry. Remove from heat and stir in parsley and basil. Serve  warm with toasted bread for scooping. This is also great with pita chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment