Chicken Divan Recipe - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Friday 19 March 2010

Chicken Divan Recipe


OK, I admit when I was a kid I thought this was “Couch Chicken” however since then I have learned that “Divan” refers to a meeting hall, and that this is actually named after some restaurant in New York that has long since succumbed to the wrecking ball.

I also discovered that somewhere along the line what I remember and have seen in old cookbooks as a respectable chicken in a white wine laced white cheese sauce has tumbled into the culinary gutters of time and come stumbling back in the morning disorientated and hung over with two baggy knees in its metaphorical stockings. A veritable strumpet of a dish dressed like a streetwalking culinary tramp in cheddar cheese soup, mayonnaise and Ritz cracker crumbs. 

Here is what I came up with as I tried to recreate the flavor of the dish I fondly remember.  I left out the white wine as it did not seem to taste quite like it used to the first couple of times I made it.

Ingredients for four marshmallowy peeps:

3 large chicken breasts or 4 medium cooked and cut in 1 inch cubes
2 ½ Cups of milk
2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with a little water till a paste (don’t add all at once)
1/4 Teaspoon nutmeg
¾ Cup of grated Swiss cheese
1 Teaspoon salt
½ Teaspoon of black pepper (to taste)
¼ Cup of grated parmesan
1 ½ Pound frozen broccoli florets cooked and well drained

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

How you do this? I tell you now: 

Heat milk till almost boiling then add about half the cornstarch mixture and the nutmeg. Lower the heat and stir with a wire whisk till thickened about a minute or two, it should be really thick if it is still rather thin add more of the cornstarch mixture and continue stirring. Remove from heat stir in the Swiss cheese until melted, season to taste with salt and pepper, add the chicken and mix well. Line a casserole dish with broccoli, reserving some nice florets for the edges. Pour the chicken mixture over the broccoli, and line the edges of the dish with reserved florets. Dust the top with the parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until top is nicely browned and bubbly. Let stand 3-5 minutes out of oven before serving.  It will be hot.  Great with a side of rice or wilted greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment