Chicken and Waffles Recipe - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Friday 9 October 2009

Chicken and Waffles Recipe


With pecan maple syrup and a warm apple compote!


I don’t know why but every time I write the word “Compote” I think of a robot flailing it’s arms and saying: “Does not Compote!”…well it’s funny in my head.


Then again a lot of things are funny in my head Rosie O’Donnell fighting Mike Tyson, Ice-cream hats, Pathetic Sharks and Popeye tattoos. Is it odd that I have a phobia of fish and yet am not afraid of sharks? Probably, sharks are super cool though with all those teeth Rwaar! Oh wait sharks don’t roar, am I thinking of Lions? Lions roar, sharks just bite you in half and eat your tender innards. Yeah, scratch that sharks are scary Mo-Fo’s, I wouldn’t want to meet up with one of them in a darkened rest room behind the empty beer bottles at the back of Kornblatt’s Deli on NW 21st Avenue…best Deli Hash in the USA, scary restroom that smells like stale beer, bleah…


Back to chicken and waffles with warm apple compote!


Chicken and waffles? I hear you say? Obviously you have never been to Roscoe’s House of Chicken and Waffles, and if you haven’t you haven’t lived. Ok, so that is an exaggeration. Who came up with the concept of Chicken and Waffles? Well waffles are French and chicken is international. The first time I ever noticed Chicken and Waffles was in a cook book from the late nineteenth century, though not the version I am showcasing here, their version was for using up leftover roasted chicken combining it with a creamy gravy and serving over the waffles. Which is surprisingly good, and an excellent way to use up some of that leftover Thanksgiving Turkey, oooh its November isn’t it? Darn.


Hah, someone just pointed out to me that it is actually Octember! This makes me happy! I was already thinking up excuses to not visit my relatives this holiday season. Though the decision isn’t that hard, the list of reasons to avoid certain relatives this holiday season runs thus: insane, murderer, insane but escaped, survivalist, having the “Chop” in Sweden that weekend, not speaking to me because I over tipped a waiter in 1995, insane, dead, voted for Ross Perot… no thank you, I think I will have a little ménage a trois with a couple of fine friends known as Captain Morgan and Jack Daniels and forget the whole thing. Besides they are bound to show Dances with Wolves on the telly, great that’s all I need seventeen hours of Kevin Costner talking to himself in that irritating nasal monotone of his, what a self indulgent piece of dreck.


Oh right Waffles! D@mn, sorry got sidetracked went all the way over theeeeeerre when I should have stayed here, in Waffleland.

Ingredients for the cinnamon waffles:


1 Cup Flour

1 Egg lightly beaten

2 Tablespoons of oil or melted butter

½ Teaspoon of vanilla

1 ½ Teaspoons of baking powder

1 Cup of milk

Pinch of salt

1 Tablespoon of brown sugar

½ Teaspoon of cinnamon


Method for waffles

Mix all, let sit for five minutes and then proceed to cook in your waffle maker according to directions.

Drizzle with maple syrup warmed with chopped pecans.


Ingredients for the Baked Fried Chicken

1 can of cream of chicken soup

12 Chicken tenders

½ -1 Cup of Breadcrumbs

Pinch of both Salt and Pepper

¼ cup of half and half or cream

Cooking Spray


Method for Chicken:


Mix the bread crumbs with a little salt and pepper and pour onto a plate.Take about a third of the can of cream of chicken soup and dip the chicken tenders in this, then roll in the bread crumbs on a plate. Place on a greased cookie sheet and continue with remaining chicken tenders. Spray the coated chicken with cooking spray and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven turning once for about 15-20 minutes until cooked through. Meanwhile heat the remaining soup up in a small sauce pan with the half and half or cream. Stir occasionally till smooth and saucy. Serve over cooked chicken.


For the apple compote:


2 apples cored and chopped, peeled if you like, I don’t because I make it fresh, and really? I am already making cinnamon waffles with pecan maple syrup, baked fried chicken and gravy, and this compote so sod off, peel the apples...whatever.

¼ Teaspoon of cinnamon

2 Tablespoons of brown sugar or more to taste

¼ cup of water

Pinch of nutmeg

Pinch of ground cloves


Method for the Apple Compote:

Combine all in a small sauce pan and cook over fairly high heat for 10 minutes or until apples are soft, add a little more water if it gets too dry, mash a few chunks but not all. Serve with the waffles. This is also great with pancakes, or roast pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment