Grapefruit Cucumber Cocktail Recipe - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Friday 18 September 2009

Grapefruit Cucumber Cocktail Recipe


Shrimp Cucumber and Grapefruit cocktail:

Grapefruit, I love grapefruit. Though I really disliked it when I was a kid, it was one of the few things that I had to eat even though I didn’t like it.


Usually I just had to try something once and if I didn’t like it never had to have it again. The grapefruit was for some reason the one I couldn’t get out of. Probably because growing up in Scotland and eating Scottish food; scurvy is a very real perceived fear. Especially for people like my mother from Coco Beach who thought that if you did not eat at least your weight in citrus fruit per month you would die of malnutrition. Thank you to the Florida Orange Growers Concern and Coronet Films for that one. (If you don’t know what Coronet films are, consider yourself blessed. They did more damage to American youth than Rock Music, Reganomics and High Fructose Corn Syrup combined.)


A secondary note, my mother always served grapefruit with little serrated grapefruit spoons, which is quite embarrassing in Britain where the rare fruit is always cut into segments before being served so that you don’t squirt on your neighbor while eating.


How many times have I attacjed the grapefruit only to be hit right in the eye full force with a stream of citric acid so powerful and accurate one feels like the snow at the annual “Name Writing Contest” held in Norway.

Ok, so I went a little off topic, however here is a nice vegetable fruit cocktail that can have shrimp added if you wish. I like it either way, you may not, like I care I have meds…


For Four Marshmallowy peeps:


One Ruby Red Grape Fruit

1 Cucumber

1 Cup salad shrimp cooked and peeled

1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice

2 Green onions chopped both the white and green bits.

½ Teaspoon of sugar

¼ Teaspoon of cayenne or paprika


Method:


Cut the grapefruit in half, remove the seeds and cut off the rind thickly so that no pith remains. Cut into cubes save any juice on the cutting board. Peel the cucumber or score with a fork or citrus zester. Combine the lemon juice green onion and sugar in a bowl, add the grapefruit , cucumber and shrimp if using.

No comments:

Post a Comment