Tattie Fritters - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Monday 9 July 2012

Tattie Fritters

Tattie fritters


Potato Fritters or Tattie Fritters as we say in Scotland, like most things on my Blog, are a thing from my childhood

Not to be confused with Tattie Scones, see recipe here

My dad would make these yummy fritters when my younger sister and I were small

My mum is defiantly the cook in the family but there were speciality items that my dad would make and Tattie Fritters were amongst those 'dad items'

These deep fried delights are thick sliced potato disks that are then dipped in homemade batter and fried to make them fluffy and warm on the inside and hot and crispy on the outside

Fantastic with malt vinegar (a very British classic condiment) and oodles of salt

I seriously have not had these since I was a teenager

In fact I asked Mr Tartan Tastes if he had ever had them and if he liked them, I really had no idea he loved them too, as I have never made these my whole married life and we've been married a while....

Tattie fritters get no prize for being heathy and slimming, but a little fried comfort food once in a while is ok around here

So, in keeping with the deep fried theme since I bought my fryer last month....

Here are Tattie Fritters

Makes as many as you fancy

You will need

Potatoes (peeled and thick sliced)

Potatoes


For the Batter
150g All Purpose (Plain) Flour
15g Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
Sparkling Water (gives the batter its crispiness)

Ingredients - do you like my Tartan welly boot salt?


  • First peel and slice the potatoes, set Fryer oil to 325F
Potatoes peeled and cut

  • To make batter, first sieve Flour, Baking Powder and salt into a bowl
Sieve the flour etc
  • Add sparkling water, a little at a time, to make a medium consistency batter
Add the water
Batter mix

  • Dip the slices of potato into the prepared batter
Dip in the potato

  • Fry (without a basket - the batter will stick to the basket) for 10 minutes until golden and crispy
Deep fried Potato fritters

  • Once fried, lay onto paper towel to drain

  • Enjoy straight away, while nice and hot and crispy
Tattie Fritters

Potato Fritters

Like I said before, to enjoy these the Scottish way, serve with malt vinegar and lots and lots of salt

Malt Vinegar


YUM

You can serve them as a great tasty snack or as part of a meal

Thanks for dropping by and I hope you try these and get to see just how delicious these are


No comments:

Post a Comment