Leeks au Gratin Recipe - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Saturday 7 November 2009

Leeks au Gratin Recipe


Leeks are called the “Poor man’s asparagus” in France which is where this dish originates.


However I find this dish so tasty and rich, all idea of it being poor man’s food is out the door.


Fun fact of the day the leek along with the dragon is one of the symbols of Wales and appears on Welsh pound coins. Another fun fact (Or not) is that King Cadwaladyr ordered his men to wear leeks during a battle with the Angles or the Saxons or somebody; this was in order to recognize each other in the heat of battle. Obviously this legend predates heraldry as we know it; otherwise it would be rather silly. I sort of have this vision of a bunch of men in armor beating each other to an oniony death with some rather limp and soggy leeks.


Funnily enough I was born in the year of the Dragon and have the middle name of Cadawalladyr, my family is from the city of Chester in England on the Welsh border and I happen to like leeks. A coincidence? I think not. The leek is in my blood. Though I came this close to having the first name Ethelred or Knute, luckily my mother hopped up on drugs at the time of my birth relented named me after the hospital I was born in Royal Alexandria Hospital in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Yay me!


Actually I wouldn’t mind having the name Knute. Sounds kinda butch and sexy...


x%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml">

Before I get to the recipe I am reminded of a practical joke that was played on my a half century after it was initiated.


Here I was putting books on the shelves my spare room and relegating others to boxes so they will be out of the way and make room for new books.


Then I found a book in a box that I have not read, and possibly not looked at for many years.


It is a 1948 copy of "West and West; Our Country" and apparently a school book of history of the United States up to 1947.


It is from the Belt School district in Montana, and has the names of four people signed in from 1949 to 1953.
After that no named are entered in the "Issued to" label in the front.


But at the bottom of the page someone wrote in pencil: " Turn to pg 95" on 95 it says "Turn to 149" and on and on and on, so I did, and at the last page it says "Sucker, made you turn all those pages for nothing, Sucker!"

I think Eugene ( The last signer of the book) would be happy that 55 years later, a sucker fell for the age old trick, of turning over.

For some reason, I am pleased. It's something I would have done.


Leeks are a major ingredient in lots of rather famous foods Vichyssoise, Cock a Leekie Soup and Pot au Feu just to name a few.

Ingredients:


6-8 Leeks white part only

2 Cups of whole milk of a mix of milk and half and half

1 cup of grated Swiss cheese

1 Tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with a tablespoon of water

A little salt and pepper


How you do this:

Preheat the broiler. Place the leeks in a skillet with about a half inch of water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 8-10 minutes till tender. Meanwhile heat the cream in saucepan till hot but not boiling, reduce the tempature to low add the cheese a little at a time stirring constanlty till melted and the sauce is smooth. If neccesary add the cornstarch to thicken a little more (It should be the as thick as undiluted condensed soup). Drain the leeks and set aside. Place a little of the sauce in a casserole or in individual casseroles, place the leeks side by side on top of this. Cover with the remaining sauce and place under the broiler till lightly browned.


This makes a fine a$$ side dish to a grilled steak, or as a vegetarian main or luncheon dish with rice pilaf, a green vegetable and a salad.


For a wine, a Chenin Blanc is excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment