Treacle Scones - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Thursday 8 November 2012

Treacle Scones

Scottish Treacle Scone


This recipe is a nice change from the regular scones I made earlier in the year see them here

It uses Treacle to give them a more malty, autumn like flavour

Treacle is a childhood favourite of mine, I used to eat it on bread. I really can't do that now, I am just not that used to the taste like I was when I was a kid

It is fine if added to something, like these Scones, but I can't eat it in the raw anymore

My Mum used to make Treacle Toffee, I really must look out her recipe and make that soon

So, these warm scones are wafting through my home as I am typing up this post, it is probably my favourite aroma..... home baking

If you would like to make them too

Here is the recipe I used

You will need

8oz/225g Self Raising flour
2oz/50g Butter or margarine
1oz/25g Fine Sugar
2 Tbsp Treacle (or Molasses)
Half tsp Cinnamon
Quarter pint/150ml of Milk
Pinch of salt
Ingredients

  • Set oven to 220C/425F. Grease a Baking tray or cookie sheet

  • Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl
Flour

  • Add butter and rub in, until it resembles fine breadcrumbs 
add butter

resembles Breadcrumbs

  • Add the sugar, cinnamon and treacle
Treacle


  • Add the milk a little at a time and mix until a soft, elastic dough is formed
Elastic dough

  • On a floured surface, knead the dough and roll out 
Dough

  • Cut out rounds about 2.5 inch cutter
Rounds cut

  • Place on greased tray and brush top with milk
On cookie sheet
brush with milk

  • Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown

  • Place on wire rack to cool

  • Enjoy with a butter, or some strawberry preserve and cream
Scottish Treacle Scone

I hope you love these Treacle Scones as much as we do.


No comments:

Post a Comment