Tom Rang Muoi (Vietnamese Salt and Pepper Shrimp) - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Monday 12 November 2012

Tom Rang Muoi (Vietnamese Salt and Pepper Shrimp)

I discovered this one completely by accident. I was in my local Asian market and picked up a spice pack, my broken reading of Chinese read the pack wrong. When I got home I discovered my error but decided to give it a whirl, it was amazing! So I researched the dish and asked a few friends of mine.

I discovered the Tom Rang Muoi is a huge favorite and a must have recipe! Traditionally served with heads, tails, and legs still on this savory shrimp is sure to please. I will be demoing it with tails and legs, but honestly I prefer fully cleaned shrimp.

Full time: 30 minutes
Serves 2-4

You will need:

1-1 1/2 lb. large shrimp
2 jalapeño, sliced thin
1 onion, sliced thin
1 small bunch chives, diced large
1/4 cup corn starch
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp ground pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp sugar

2 cups olive oil (traditional dish uses peanut oil)

Let us begin:

In a large bowl place cornstarch.

Working in groups of 5-6 toss shrimp into bowl with cornstarch.

Toss fully to completely cover and set aside, continue until all shrimp is coated.
 
 
Get 2 cups olive oil heated in a deep skillet to 325-350 for frying.

Gently ease 4-6 shrimp into pan and fry 3-4 minutes until a nice reddish pink color develops.

Remove shrimp from oil with slotted spoon and let dry on wire rack lined with paper towels.

Continue till all shrimp are done.

Once shrimp are all cooked pour hot oil from pan and add in the 2 tbsp olive oil (traditional dish calls for using 2 tbsp frying oil) place sliced jalapeños, onions, chives, and minced garlic in pan with oil.

Fry for 3-5 minutes until onions just begin to color.

While this fries, place the salt and pepper in a large bowl.

Toss in shrimp.

Toss about to completely coat shrimp.

Pour shrimp and seasoning into the frying vegetables.

Toss about to fully mix.

Plate on a serving tray, serve immediately and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment