Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Sunday 16 January 2011

Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower

I have to honestly say that I never realized that cooking cabbage actually could smell bad. I think this had a lot to do with the way that I have usually had cabbage prepared. Generally swilling in butter and fried with potatoes back home in Scotland. Or sliced very fine and barely cooked in fried noodles (one of my favorites!), or just simply raw in coleslaw or other salads.  Roasting is another favorite cooking method for brassica, and one that also does not produce the warm flatulent smell of boiling cabbage.

Here we tried roasting broccoli and cauliflower, the result was marvelous. I couldn’t help thinking how much better it would have been topped with Parmesan cheese, however I think we had enough cheese in this meal.

 Ingredients:

1 Pound of broccoli florets
1 pound of cauliflower florets
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
2 Cloves of garlic
1 Small onion sliced
¼ Cup of seasoned breadcrumbs 

How yo do this? I tell you now: 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss the broccoli and cauliflower with the olive oil, garlic and onions in a large casserole or metal roasting pan. Roast for 30 minutes , stir once or twice. After thirty minutes sprinkle with the bread crumbs and dot with the butter. Continue cooking for a further 10 minutes till crumbs are golden.

Serves six as a side dish

No comments:

Post a Comment