Moroccan Chicken with Green Olives - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Thursday 3 June 2010

Moroccan Chicken with Green Olives


It has been a while since I have been to morocco, in fact it will have been 26 years this October. Ouch, tempus fugit.

This thought has me wanting to watch Casablanca, maybe, maybe not. Bogart really irritates me, which is funny because he has been dead for forty years or so.

Personally I really have no desire to go back to Morocco. Oh I enjoyed myself and the food was excellent, lots of carpet salesmen, good tea, superb leather goods for the discerning adult. Picturesque buildings and villages, a decent beach and good hotels. Perhaps I am spoiled. I think spent a little too long living in the desert to make the idea of going to the beach and, "getting sand stuck in places I didn’t even realize I had places" appealing in any form. 

There’s nothing wrong with Morocco (That is to say there are lots of things wrong with the Kingdom of Morocco, I would just rather not discuss them here.) it was perfectly pleasant I just have been to much more exciting places with more to do and or see than just sand and carpets. Branson, Missouri for example.

Besides a really bad tempered camel tried to knock me off a cliff in Agadir, I’m still traumatized. Camels are mean…and stinky…and they look at you like they know you are inferior to them.

Moroccan food on the other hand I adore. There is a really great Moroccan restaurant in Portland, several in New York and there used to be one in Aberdeen, though I am not sure if this is still the case.


I have modified the recipe because I didn't have any preserved lemons around. If you have preserved lemons use about 1/4 of one lemon, sliced very thin, for the lemon juice.

Ingredients for 6-8 Peeps:

3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 Yellow onions sliced
3 Cloves of garlic chopped
½ Teaspoon ground ginger
1 ½ Teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of saffron
2 Bay leaves
¼ Teaspoon Cayenne
1 Teaspoon Paprika
1/8th Teaspoon Black Pepper
2 Cups of Chicken stock
2 Tablespoons of lemon juice or a quarter of a preserved lemon sliced thin
1 Tablespoon of brown sugar
½ Cup of green olives (Not pimento stuffed)
½ Red bell pepper chopped (Optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Three or four green onions chopped to garnish
1 Tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with a tablespoon of water for thickening if needed.

How you do this? I tell you now:

Cut the chicken into pieces about one by two inches or so (it doesn’t have to be exact), heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and add the chicken cook stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes till it is looking just slightly browned add the onions, garlic and spices, continue to stir and cook for another 3 minutes, it should become very fragrant. Pour the stock or broth and lemon juice into the pan, reduce temperature to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes or till liquid is reduced. If necessary thicken with cornstarch or tapioca flour. Add the olives and the red pepper if using. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes, taste for seasoning adding more spices if desired. This is a pretty mild version so feel free to go as hot as you like.  Garnish with chopped green onions and a sprinkling of paprika. 

Serve with couscous, raisin rice or plain rice and pita bread. 

Note: You could easily substitute, tofu or Quorn tenders for the chicken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment