Collective Nouns and Orange Onion Salad - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Thursday 6 August 2009

Collective Nouns and Orange Onion Salad

Weird day as usual, walking around the hospital grounds on my lunch and I keep seeing clumps of security officers and police, not just two having a quiet (and illegal) smoke out of the wind on the loading dock at the back of the school of medicine, but great clumps of four or five officers just standing around.


The governor was here on Monday and there was not as much security about as there was today.


And what do you call a group of cops? Is it a cluster? A huddle? An Arrest? A precinct? Or a pig pen? Just kidding I have the highest respect for police officers, I’ll respect anyone that is about as likely to tase me and step on my neck as to look at me in a funny and suspicious way. Well allright I did once assault a police officer with a submarine sandwich but it was just a misunderstanding, I swear, and I have no idea how that segull got in there anyway. What? Why are they looking at me? Lots of people wear their underwear on the outside of their clothes, Superman for one, and my aunt Muriel, but she also believes that she is a small cottage in New Hampshire, with hot running water. This can be inconvenient at the best of times, especially when she attempts to turn on the shower during mass.


Well I never did find out I suppose I will have to just keep speculating about it, and why security officer and police officers? I mean, that’s just apples and oranges isn’t it?


Which brings me to this; an orange olive and red onion presentation style salad with a minty citrusy dressing, this is found in different forms around the Mediterranean and now even in California where olives and oranges seem so abundant. The mint and oranges are refreshing the onions have a bit of a bite to them and the almonds add crunch. Colorful and fruity with just a hint of sour (just like me!) this is excellent for the heat of summer, though I am hoping that our heat wave here in the Beaver State was just a fluke.


Ingredients:

4 Oranges peeled and sliced very thin

½ Red onion sliced paper thin and separated into rings

½ cup of black olives (Mediterranean style if possible)

1 Teaspoon of chopped mint

1 tablespoon of lemon juice

2 tablespoons of olive oil

A little salt and pepper (On an orange salad? You might be plesently surprised)

2 Tablespoon of slivered almonds


Method:

Layer the orange slices and the onion on four individual plates, overlapping to create a pattern, circular, fan shaped, four leaved clover shaped, the possibilities are endless, or not. Place the olives in strategic points around the plate. Mix the mint, lemon juice, olive oil and a little salt and black pepper to taste, whisk well and pour a portion over each serving, dust with the slivered almonds and serves four to cries of delight and wonder, or not, you may have to get your guest liquored up a little before that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment