Varnishkes - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Tuesday 12 January 2010

Varnishkes



Varnishkes!

Bow ties! It has been a while since I have worn a bow tie, a little over a year ago and it was a work thing, there is a spot on my cummerbund from that evening, I think its motor oil?

How did I get motor oil on my cummerbund?  I don’t want to talk about it.

For me bow ties will always bring up the sad memory of being six and going to a family friends house in the country for Christmas. Actually not sad, just embarrassing, though I was sad because I had been allowed to open one present Christmas morning before driving off to said friend’s house for the rest of the day.
It had been the perfect gift! Just what I wanted, the Lego “Holiday House” with little Lego bits for a kitchen, a bright red roof and skylights and even Lego patio furniture. I wanted to make it right away. Unfortunately we had to go to my mother’s friend’s house for Christmas day.

Broomsticks! I remember being rather huffy on the way, and I must have made life for my parents miserable on that hour long drive to Balliheidengough, because they both started to drink heavily upon arrival.

Then again they could have been drinking heavily because it was after ten o’clock in the morning. My mother then proceeded to tell the outrageous lie that I had put on my bow tie this morning before I had any other clothes on and then run about the house like some sort of uneducated heathen.
Anyone who knows me knows that I am about as likely to tear off my clothes and go running around as I am of becoming the emperor of China. 
I therefore presume she made up the story to sound cute or something. I have no idea, but on my death bed I will remember the embarrassment of my mother telling that filthy malodorous lie in my presence!  OK, calm down that was nearly thirty years ago, calm…happy place, think of happy place. “Happy Place” is a nursing home that will take even my mother! That is commitment right there. Ok, that was mean.
Moving on, more about bowties, by special request Varnishkes!

This stuff is amazing, amazing I tell you! Though a little heavy on the carbs, and the gluten, but also heavy on the comfort factor. I had to go adopt a Jewish Grandmother just to get this on a regular basis.

Ingredients: 

1 16oz package of bow tie pasta (no other kind will do, none don’t even think about using penne, you have been warned.”
1 cup of buckwheat or bulgur wheat if no buckwheat is available
1  Egg lightly beaten
1 Onion rough chopped
2-3 Tablespoons of margarine (yes margarine)
2 Cups of chicken or vegetable broth
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper

Method: 

Cook the pasta according to package direction, drain and set aside. Heat the buckwheat or bulgur over medium in a dry skillet for a few minutes, just until it becomes fragrant. Add the egg and scramble till the grain is coated and separated. Then add the chicken or vegetable stock and the onions cover and cook for about 15 minutes till all the stock is absorbed. Add the bow tie pasta and the margarine toss for a couple of minutes till the pasta is reheated. Remove from heat and serve. This is great on its own in a big bowl or with a lamb or beef roast (see the need for margarine? If you do not see the need for margarine then it is unimportant use butter if you like.).

No comments:

Post a Comment