Super Italian Scramble - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Wednesday 6 January 2010

Super Italian Scramble


Scrambled Eggs Super de Duper Special Deluxe a la Peter T Hooper.

I loved that phrase when I was very wee. Combine that with the fact that scrambled eggs were the first thing I learned to cook in home economics when I was about eight. And you have the reason that my favorite method of preparing eggs is scrambled.

When I was eleven I figured out how to make green eggs for green eggs and “Spam”. The secret? Powdered sage and thyme, shhh don’t tell anyone it’s a secret…

Then in the Americas I discovered that you could put other things in scrambled eggs. All sorts of things. Sausage, green peppers, red peppers, mushrooms, green onions, ham, turkey bacon, beef jerky, Pringles, vodka, codeine you name it!

Soon after I made this discovery I was reminded that I had for years been exposed (like the residents of Chernobyl are exposed to radiation) to piperade in various forms. Which is little more than scrambled eggs mixed with tomatoes, peppers and usually parsley.  Sadly I have had many such “Duh” moments in my life as I seem not to be able to put two and two together, (Well not literally, I can convert a recipe from metric to American without blinking, but then my eyeballs get dry…)

Since then I have been sampling scrambles all over. Though now out of habit I tend to order them with tofu rather than egg if it is on offer. Defeating the purpose of ordering tofu by getting a side of bacon to lubricate the old gullet is another habit of mine. Meh, I’m an omnivore. Grasshoppers, coffee grounds, shredded newspaper it’s all good.

Well here is a breakfast brunch type scramble that can be made vegetarian very easily.

Ingredients for two marshmallowy peeps:
 
4 eggs lightly beaten (or one block of tofu )
½ Onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped fine
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
½ a green pepper diced
2 Italian sausages (Or Morning Star Veg-Italian Sausages)
1 Tablespoon of fresh basil chopped
1 Tablespoon of parsley chopped (Preferably the flat leaf kind)
3-4 Tablespoons of parmesan cheese


Method:
Heat the olive oil over medium heat and then sauté the onion and garlic for about 3 minutes add the sausage and cook stirring frequently till lightly browned. Add the green pepper and the eggs or tofu. Cook string well till eggs are set or tofu has just begun to brown. Add the remaining seasoning and the cheese. Remove from heat and serve with roasted red potatoes or hash browns, toasted bread or English muffins. A yum-o-rama.

No comments:

Post a Comment