Spanish Tortilla Omelet - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Tuesday 17 November 2009

Spanish Tortilla Omelet


Eggy-weggs….

There is one thing that has always bothered me about eggs, besides the fact that they are really just boneless baby chickens, it’s the fact that someone looked at an egg one days and thought; "Why that looks like good eatin’”. Honestly what senseless depraved and twisted individual thought: “Hey look at this sort of round fragile rock thing that came out of that chickens you know what. I bet that if I crack it open and cook it on some hot rocks near the fire it will taste like yummy good times."

When it comes down to it; It was probably the same sick freak who decided to eat the chunky milk. Therefore giving us the wonderful wide and sometimes wacky world of cheese and spawning and industry that leads to over 35 whey vat drownings a year.

What a frightening concept! What a whey to go!

All right sorry for the bad pun I couldn’t resist.

Speaking of cheese: what is pasteurized processed cheese food? It isn’t cheese. It most certainly isn’t food. I tend to equate it with caulk. It certainly is waterproof if you caulk your tub with it. That stuff holds tight. Fortunately I like cheese, so the occasional button or fingernail showing up in my cheddar is not that off putting. I am sure that I have had worse. In fact I recently bought all new pillows and bedding after reading that up to a third of your pillows weight after a year could be dead skin cells and dust mite bodies. Really? REALLY? ICK! GET IT OFF ME! The article caused me to throw out all my bedding and sleep on the scrubbed tiled floor of the dining room for a couple of days until I got over it.

Seriously though, what are the statistics on food manufacturing related demise? How many of us are cannibals unawares? How many of us are accidentally feasting on human flesh as we wolf down sugar free vanilla non fat triple foam lattes with barista sweat and organic raw sugar icing pumpkin scones with eye boogers? Just the other day I was eating at a restaurant downtown and there was a hair in the food, just laying there chilaxin’ on the chicken and the pomegranate sauce. OK, gross but I’ve traveled in third world countries on three of the least desirable continents, I can cope. Seriously just think of how much worse it could have been…”Excuse me waiter there appears to be a dead molting Humboldt penguin in my soup… Talk about giving someone the bird.

Bird? Ah yes that’s right eggs! That is where I was going with that, or at least that is where I was going with that originally before I got sidetracked into random land.

Today continuing with the Tapas them we have a Spanish omelet or Tortilla. A world away from the Spanish Omelet you order at three am in a 24 hour pancake house after one too many Long Island Iced teas. This is the type of thick fluffy omelet that is great skewered with a toothpick and dipped into a zesty tomato or cheese sauce; into barbeque sauce or ketchup; Alfredo sauce or spinach dip. It’s a wonderful little appetizer or Tapa.

Ingredients:

1Onion Chopped fine

1 Tablespoon of olive oil

1 can of whole new potatoes drained or 1 cup peeled cooked new potatoes

4 Eggs

A little salt and pepper

How you do this? I tell you now:

Cook the onion in the olive oil over medium heat till transparent but not browned, add the potato and break up with a wooden spoon when it is hot add the eggs beaten lightly with a little salt and pepper, cook shaking the pan until the bottom is browned 2-3 minutes, loosen the edge with a spatula and slide onto a plate, invert plate back over pan to drop omelet back to brown the other side.
Remove from the pan an cut into cubes about 1 ½ inches square. Skewer each square with a toothpick. Sprinkle with parsley or other fresh herb if desired, oregano is good.

P.S.: for those who are not on a gluten free diet; leftover warmed frittata or Spanish Tortilla can be placed between thick slices of rustic bread and eaten as a sandwich. A little whole grain mustard and a few pieces of lettuce or tomato really add to the sandwich. Serves 2 as part of a tapas meal

No comments:

Post a Comment