Rhubarb and Raspberry Smoothie - Scottish Foods Recipes

Breaking

victor ads

BANNER 728X90

Saturday 30 May 2009

Rhubarb and Raspberry Smoothie

Yesterday we went out for brunch. It was nice but not a patch on breakfast at home today. All it takes is an interesting smoothie, wonderful bread and good cheese.

On the way home yesterday we stopped at Andre’s, a new local café at the entrance to Coburg Market. He has just started selling bread (just on Thursdays and Saturdays at the moment). We bought some caraway rye and it is fantastic! Dense, chewy and full of flavour. Finally, a local shop that sells excellent bread as well as great cakes. We also have some lovely mature crumbly cheddar that my mum brought for me at the Vic Market last week.

Then a few nights back I made a rhubarb crumble. The actual crumble needs a bit of work before I post it but the rhubarb was fantastic. It was cooked with honey, orange and cinnamon. In a moment of wisdom I set some rhubarb aside. Into my blending jug went some rhubarb, berries from the freezer, dregs of a bottle of pomegranate juice and juice of the half orange lingering in the fridge.

What a success. Both the rhubarb and raspberry flavours are rich and delicious with hints of orange, cinnamon and honey but not overly sweet. The colour is a deep and gorgeous pink. It is quite thick and icy.

I first tried rhubarb in a smoothie last year when I had some leftover baked rhubarb. It was truly a revelation. If you haven’t tried it, I highly recommend it. All that was missing today was a dollop of my new favourite honey and cinnamon yoghurt. Next time!

Rhubarb and Raspberry Smoothie
Makes 1½ glasses or 1 large glass

½ cup cooked rhubarb
½ cup frozen or fresh raspberries
½ cup pomegranate juice
juice of ½ an orange

Blend (I used a hand held blender) and drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment